Bayer Leverkusen win battle at Schalke
19 December 2018 20:24GMT
Bayer Leverkusen added more pressure on Domenico Tedesco charges with a fourth winless run for Schalke a point off the relegation spot for a team that came second last season.
Heiko Herrlich side took the lead after Leon Bailey’s shot bounced off the right post of Ralf Fährmann and Aleksandar Dragovic was alive to the ball to strike the rebound past the keeper’s legs on 27 minutes and added the second from Lucas Alario turn and shot before Haji Wright before the halftime break.
Tedesco: “We wanted to put in a great performance for our fans to mark the special occasion tonight – we didn’t do that.” Before the half-time break, it was a sloppy game – we lost possession so many times. As a result, we were 2-0 down, which really killed our mood.”
: “The first 20 minutes was very little movement and pace in the game, even with us – that had friendly game character. The gate through was like a liberation for us, has given us a boost. Until the half-time we then controlled the game. ”
“Schalke Defended well: In the 2nd half, we didn’t manage to play out at the back. We lost the balls too quickly or didn’t get any more pressure on the ball. In 2 situations we were very lucky that the balance did not fall. ”
Match stats via Bundesliga.com
- Schalke have lost more home games in the first half of the season (five) than they have won (three).
- In the last eight matches between these two, the home team has failed to win. There have been six away victories and two draws since Leverkusen managed a home win in October 2014.
- In their Bundesliga history, Leverkusen have only won more games against Stuttgart (35) than they have against Schalke (31).
- This was Leverkusen’s first win over Schalke in four league matches. They had lost two of the previous three.
- The game saw two Americans — Schalke’s McKennie and Wright — line up for the same Bundesliga side for the first time since Fabian Johnson and Daniel Williams featured for Hoffenheim at Schalke on 30 March, 2013.
Schalke: Fährmann (c) – Stambouli, Sane, Nastasic – Caligiuri, McKennie, Bentaleb (Serdar 54′), Oczipka – Schöpf (Konoplyanka 71′), Harit – Wright (Skrzybski 54′)
Unused subs: Nübel, Mascarell, Kutucu, Naldo
Out: Embolo (foot), Mendyl (ankle), Uth (hamstring), Burgstaller (Achilles), Di Santo (knee)
Coach: Domenico Tedesco
Leverkusen: Hradecky – Weiser, Tah, Dragovic (Jedvaj 60′), Wendell – Kohr, Baumgartlinger (c) – Bellarabi (S. Bender 89′), Havertz, Bailey – Alario (Volland 70′)
Unused subs: Özcan, Brandt, Kiese Thelin, Aranguiz
Out: Pohjanpalo (ankle), Retsos (thigh), L. Bender (thigh)
Coach: Heiko Herrlich