Gladbach closes in on Dortmund with Hazard rescue
18 December 2018 21:29 GMT
Borussia Monchengladbach closed in on great rivals with a 2-0 win over Bundesliga rivals on the night Nurenberg with Thorgan hazard missing a penalty and scoring before Alassane Plea sealed the winner late in the game.
Gladbach 1-0 Nuremberg
Goals: 1-0 Hazard (47’), 2-0 Plea (86′)
Both sides were guilty of missing golden opportunities to take a first-half lead at Borussia-Park, Matheus Pereira and Fuchs both got denied by the keeper and crossbar respectively while the home side had Denis Zakaria saw his header cleared off the line at the other end.
Gladbach should have taken the lead as Thorgan Hazard’s Panenka penalty was flighted over the bar on the brink of half-time after Florian Neuhaus was felled in the box with the halftime break on the horizon.
Hazard responded to make amends, though, first starting and slipped in by Ibrahima Traore just two minutes into the second half to give his side the lead with his ninth goal of the season.
Alassane Plea wrapped up the eighth win out of eight on home soil on 86 minutes after Mikael Cuisance assist that consolidates second-place in the table six points from Bundesliga leaders Dortmund.
Match stats via Bundesliga.com
- Gladbach are the only Bundesliga side to boast a perfect home record in the current campaign.
- Hazard and Plea are Gladbach’s joint top scorers this season with nine goals.
- Nuremberg have the worst away record in the Bundesliga this term, losing six and drawing two games so far, scoring just five and conceding a whopping 26.
- Hazard has scored six goals at home this season, but this was his first goal since Matchday 12.
- Yann Sommer has kept seven clean sheets already this season, a feat only Leipzig goalkeeper Peter Gulacsi has equalled.
- The Foals have been awarded the most penalties this season (six), and have scored four of them.