Stuttgart’s Mario Gomez bags brace in 2-1 comeback win over Hertha
15 December 2018 17:21
VfB Stuttgart Mario Gomez bagged a brace to turn back the clock in a 2-1 comeback win over Hertha Berlin in the Bundesliga.
Vedad Ibisevic clever play with Vladimir Darida gave the latter a chance to cross with the former Hertha striker letting the ball through his legs for Maximilian Mittelstädt’s close-range finish – which found the net via goalkeeper Ron-Robert Zieler – gave Hertha a deserved lead before the break.
Stuttgart started with urgency with the home side looking to avoid the relegation zone and on 64 minutes Gomez prodding home Nicolas Gonzalez’s knockback header to stretch his leg to restore parity.
With momentum on their side Gomez nodded Christian Gentner’s cross with another header past the Norwegian custodian to earn the Swabians a priceless win to keep them two points off the drop.
- Gomez ended a run of 683 minutes without a goal in the Bundesliga.
- The veteran striker has now scored more Bundesliga goals for VfB than he managed for Bayern Munich.
- Mittelstadt scored his first ever German top-flight goal on his 35th league appearance for Hertha.
- Ibisevic made his 100th Bundesliga appearance for the Old Lady on Matchday 15.
- Benjamin Pavard sat out his first Bundesliga game since Stuttgart’s promotion in 2017.
- Akolo was named in the VfB starting line-up for the first time under Weinzierl.
Stuttgart – Hertha BSC Match Statistics
|4||Shots on goal||3|
|4||Shots off goal||10|
|4||Shots inside box||11|
|5||Shots outside box||4|