Hoffenheim in Bundesliga stalemate with Gladbach
15 December 2018 16:29 GMT
Hoffenheim were left disappointed after crashing out of the UEFA champions league with a 0-0 stalemate against Borussia Monchengladbach.
While Hoffenheim enjoyed more of the ball early on, the first notable opportunity fell at the other end of the field with Alassane Plea’s shot stinging the palms of Oliver Baumann.
Andrej Kramaric and Joelinton had goals chalked off for offside with VAR consulted for the Brazilian effort as they continued to chase for the opening goal.
Joelinton went even closer on 69 minutes, to break the deadlock when he lobbed Yann Sommer, but the ball came back off the inside of the post. Ermin Bicakcic had a couple of chances to knick the winner but Yann Sommer denied his first effort and the second one went past the right post in stoppage time.
- The previous 10 matches between these two sides had produced 46 goals, averaging almost five per game.
- This was only the second goalless draw in 21 fixtures between these sides, the other coming back in January 2013.
- Nelson made his first start in the Bundesliga in six weeks. He last started the 4-1 win over Bayer Leverkusen.
- Stefan Posch made his first appearance in over two months, returning from an injury he picked up at the start of October in the 2-1 defeat to Frankfurt.
- Laszlo Benes came on to make his first Bundesliga appearance since Matchday 31 last season – almost eight months ago.(via Bundesliga.com)